Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday night grateful moment

It has been a warm week all over the Pacific Northwest... but, a fairly typical July in Walla Walla. I really feel for friends sans AC, as well as those not acclimatized to the heat, or those in humid places. Ugh. Here though, I can already feel the days getting shorter (what, dark at 8:30?) and starting out cooler, so I can feel and anticipate that bestest and most fantastic time of year... autumn. Crisp, clear, cool... ah. Just thinking about it makes me happy. And so very grateful, of course!

*Thankful that Seth came home bright and early this morning. Our intention had been to leave on vacation this morning, but that didn't happen... so very much on husband's workplate. So he's at work clearing things off his desk and we're here at home getting ready for our departure... tonight? tomorrow? Who knows... but we know we'll love hitting the road as soon as it happens.

*Grateful for the juxtaposition of work and relaxation. Nothing makes me happier than getting things done, then taking a well-deserved break. Seth was greatly reassured that he and I, at least, are already on vacation and that I don't have a pile of yard work lined up for him. He's been going going going so much this summer we really want/need a good relax together. And I'm all about that right now. (Ask me about my nap yesterday afternoon. So rare. So precious. Quite relaxing.)

*So thankful for a garden that's putting out peppers, basil, tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash and eggplant at a good clip. It's wonderful to see all the plants respond to water and sunshine and all my humming and singing in the garden (it's the humming and singing that makes the difference, I'm convinced of that). And, of course, I had a pesto and roasted veggie wrap for lunch and it was like eating summer.

*Thankful that the apricots have been ripening somewhat gradually. I have been able to marginally stay ahead of them--I can pick for an hour or so every morning and get my 50-75 pounds and come back the next day for the same amount. I have also been fairly successful in finding good homes for the lovely (a friend even called them "gifted" apricots) little fruit, and haven't quite resorted to dropping them on the doorsteps of strangers, ringing the bell and running away... though it has crossed my mind.


*Grateful for hope and peace in a time that still seems largely marked by fear and uncertainty. Which is not to say I don't have my moments... but with a little peace, quiet, prayer and recentering, it's possible (most days) to find the peace again.



*So grateful for the song and dance show we get to watch each week right now. I am just always so amazed at the creativity and athleticism that they all bring each week... two new dance styles and a group routine AND a solo. Holy cow. In one week. I am always so impressed, even if I don't always agree with the voting results! (Though I have to say, all things being equal, now that we're all caught up on our dvr'd episodes, that I'm cool with the final 4. I could live with any of them as the top dancer... 'cept maybe Evan. Love him, love his style, but top dancer?)

*Thankful for a fun week, music-wise. Did a little lookin' around and using itunes Genius is just a really fun way to find other artists and songs you might like... here are a few I found that I love (though I think this first one came my way through Pandora, another wonder of the internet):


I have always wanted to own this song, ever since Toy Story 2. Just discovered Sarah's Rarities, B-Sides and Other Stuff, Vol. 2, which has She Loved Me as well as some other lovely tidbits:


This one really was from Genius!


And I'm a little late to the Ben Folds party, I know, but I'm currently IN LOVE with this song...


*Grateful for encouragement. To each of you who has encouraged me regarding this blog, or just writing in general, thanks. It means a great deal. I got an email from an college classmate this week reminding me of how much I enjoyed poetry writing in college, and how much he appreciated my writing, and also happened upon an old folder of writing from that same era (20+ years ago... that slays me!). So I'm bolstered and encouraged to try my hand at some essays and poetry again, and was even discussing short stories with a friend yesterday... that would really take me out of my comfort zone, to say the least... Found this quote that seemed kind of appropriate:
If you don’t feel that you are possibly on the edge of humiliating yourself, of losing control of the whole thing, then probably what you are doing isn’t very vital. --John Irving
Well, there you have it... On to humiliation!
Happy weekend, everybody. Wherever you are, make it a good one.

1 comment:

  1. "On to humiliation" - I love it! What a great sentiment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs